Saskatoon Neighbourhood – Eastview
Eastview is a mostly residential neighbourhood located in south-central Saskatoon. It is a suburban subdivision, consisting of low-density, single detached dwellings, low-rise apartment buildings and semi-detached houses. As of 2007, the area is home to 3,566 residents. The neighbourhood is considered a middle-income area, with an average family income of $58,703, an average dwelling value of $260,050 and a home ownership rate of 51.6%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $318,449.
Eastview is located within the Nutana Suburban Development Area. It is bounded by Louise Street to the north, Circle Drive to the south and east, and Preston Avenue to the west. Roads are a mix of local and collector roads. Construction of an interchange at Preston and Circle, in the planning since the 1960s, is expected to be complete by fall 2013.
History – Most of the land for the Eastview neighbourhood was annexed by the city between 1950 and 1959, with the remaining southern piece annexed between 1960 and 1969. According to a 1913 map of registered subdivisions, Eastview’s land was once identified as an acreage and a small, never-developed subdivision called “Megantic Park”. Another proposed but undeveloped subdivision called “Preston Place” was in Eastview’s southwest corner. Home building began in the area before 1946, but the vast majority of activity occurred between 1961 and 1970. Eastview is unique in that all the streets within it, aside from Arlington Avenue, share the common name of “East”. When the streets were named in 1964, the neighbourhood was on the city’s eastern edge, giving its residents a true “east view”.
Alvin Buckwold School opened in 1966. Another public elementary school, John Dolan School, was opened in 1977. This school was founded in 1955 as a private school to help children with cognitive difficulties. It was first housed in North Park School; by 1967, it was incorporated into the public school system and moved to a facility on Kilburn Avenue. The school moved again in 1977 to the newly built facility in Eastview. In 2005, St. Thomas School absorbed the student population of St. James School in Nutana Park when the latter school closed. The school was renamed Pope John Paul II School.
Parks and Recreation – A.S. Wright Park – 8.5 acres (0.034 km2)
James Anderson Park – 19.3 acres (0.078 km2)
Kistakin Park – 16.2 acres (0.066 km2)
The Eastview Community Association operates indoor and outdoor programs out of Alvin Buckwold, and Pope John Paul II Schools, maintains the community rink and coordinates sports programs for children/youth.
Commercial – Commercial development is limited to the Eastview Shopping Centre, a strip mall on Arlington Avenue. In addition, there are 58 home-based businesses in the neighbourhood. More extensive shopping amenities exist in the neighbouring Nutana Suburban Centre.
#AskSlade about properties currently for sale in this neighbourhood. Slade Real Estate Inc. 306-222-9992. sladerealestate.ca