Saskatoon Neighbourhood – Exhibition
The Exhibition subdivision of Saskatoon is located on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River and was developed between the two major World Wars. To the west is the Diefenbaker Management Area which boasts the Diefenbaker park and Pioneer Cemetery. The park includes a medium-sized hill which is used for tobogganing and snowboarding, and the park itself is a frequently-used venue for picnics and public events and performances. The Exhibition community is also known as Thornton, after a (now-decommissioned) elementary school that formerly served the area and early in its history also went by the name Bellevue.
The city of Saskatoon sets the 2007 population count at 2,767 with homeownership at 56.7%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $256,670.
The exhibition area is at an elevation of 305 m (1,000 ft 8 in) and is located on the east river bank of the South Saskatchewan River. Located just 2.65 miles (4.26 km) from Down Town Saskatoon. The northern boundary is Taylor Street, and as previously mentioned, the western boundary is the South Saskatchewan River. The eastern edge is Melrose Avenue, and to the south is Ruth Street, the Prairieland Park and WDM
Achs Park, 1.82 acres (7,400 m2); Exhibition Park, 3.13 acres (12,700 m2) and Thornton Park, 2.00 acres (8,100 m2) are the three main parks in the neighbourhood. The Meewasin Valley Authority is developing parks and walk ways along the South Saskatchewan River. Along the west boundary of the exhibition neighbourhood is Gabriel Dumont park as well as trails at the top and base of the riverbank.
History – The Pioneer Cemetery received its first interment in 1884. On June 20, 1905, the Nutana Cemetery Co was awarded a special grant at SW Section 20 Township 36 Range 5 W of the 3rd Meridian. The Pioneer Cemetery was also called the Nutana Cemetery, and was the first municipal cemetery for the City of Saskatoon until 1910 when Woodlawn Cemetery became the city cemetery. The Pioneer Cemetery was declared a heritage site in 1982.
Sarah Shatwell Pendygrasse arrived from England in 1887 and was awarded a dominion land grant patent at SE section 20 township 36 range 5 W of the 3rd meridian, Saskatchewan provisional district, North West Territories, on December 12, 1892. Her son Harold L. S. Pendygrasse homestead at NE Section 20 township 35 Range 3 W of the 3rd meridian. At 1919 St. Henry Avenue, Exhibition subdivision the Pendygrasse Home built by Harold Pendygrasse in 1910 has been declared a municipal heritage site. It is built on the banks of the South Saskatchewan river east side of Saskatoon. For many years, the community was known by the name Bellevue, and this is how it was listed in the Henderson’s Directory up until as late as the 1940s. Construction of the Idylwyld Freeway in the 1960s resulted in the Exhibition community being physically bisected, with several streets and what was at one time the city’s main CN Rail line being removed. Only two east-west streets provide access to the western section of the community: Taylor Street West and Ruth Street West. In the 1980s, the city attempted to relocate the Exhibition Grounds to the north end of the city, opening the Exhibition Grounds up for residential development; voters defeated this plan in a plebiscite.
Education – Saskatoon Seventh-day Adventist Christian School – private elementary, part of the Saskatoon Public School Division. St. Frances School – separate (Catholic) elementary, part of Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. The area’s public elementary school, Thornton School, was decommissioned in 1986 and demolished in 1997.
Commercial – Commercial development includes a service station at the corner of Ruth Street and Lorne Avenue, commercial development at Lorne Avenue and Taylor Street, and a number of light-industrial businesses on St. George Avenue and Isabella Street West.
Arts and Culture – Exhibition Community Association addresses concerns of the community and provides recreational events and activities year round for all ages. Saskatchewan Western Development Museum is also located south of Ruth Street. Prairieland Park or Saskatoon Exhibition Grounds are located south of Ruth Street.
#AskSlade about properties currently for sale in this neighbourhood. Slade Real Estate Inc. 306-222-9992. sladerealestate.ca