Saskatoon Neighbourhood – Adelaide-Churchill
Adelaide/Churchill is located within the Nutana Suburban Development Area. It is bounded by Taylor Street/Isabella Street to the north, Circle Drive to the south, Cumberland Avenue/Wiggins Avenue to the east, and Clarence Avenue to the west. Roads are laid in a grid fashion in the north part of the neighbourhood, while the south part features crescents and courts.
Adelaide/Churchill is a mostly residential neighbourhood located in south-central Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. It is a suburban subdivision, consisting mostly of low-density, single detached dwellings. As of 2009, the area is home to 3,445 residents. The neighbourhood is considered a middle-income area, with an average family income of $78,438, an average dwelling value of $287,976 and a home ownership rate of 90.3%. According to MLS data, the average sale price of a home as of 2013 was $350,096.
History – The majority of the land for the Adelaide/Churchill neighbourhood was annexed by the city between 1910 and 1919, with the remaining southern piece annexed between 1960 and 1969. According to a 1913 map of registered subdivisions, the area was divided in two: Victoria Park to the north of Ruth Street and Park Adelaide to the south. The two were developed as Churchill (north) and Adelaide Park (south) – with Ruth Street as the dividing line – but were combined into a single neighbourhood when the city of Saskatoon redrew its neighbourhood boundaries in the 1990s. The layout of the streets reflects the urban planning philosophies of the day when the land was developed. The north part of the neighbourhood, developed just after World War II, follows a traditional grid pattern. By the 1950s, the design of residential neighbourhoods used a modern system of curving residential streets, feeding into collector roads that connected to arterial roads. Thus, the southern part of the neighbourhood follows this design practice. Expansion of the Adelaide-Churchill neighbourhood was mostly complete by the mid-1970s, however some additional development in the late 1980’s saw Calder Avenue in the neighborhood’s southwest corner extended south of a back lane, with three cul-de-sac streets and a crescent that extended to Clarence Avenue. In addition, construction of an interchange at Clarence Avenue and Circle Drive, in the planning stages since the 1960s, was completed in the late 2000’s, facilitating resident access to the freeway and to the major commercial development at Stonebridge.
Education – Churchill School was a public elementary school constructed in 1956 and closed in the early 1980s, before being sold to the Saskatoon Full Gospel Church on July 1, 1985.
Hugh Cairns V. C. School – public elementary, part of the Saskatoon Public School Division. The school was constructed in 1959 and took in its first students in 1960. Although located on Cairns Avenue, the school and the street are not named for the same person; the school is named for Saskatonian Hugh Cairns, who was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions during World War I, while the street is named for Alderman John Cairns and was actually called 12th Avenue until 1954.
St. Philip School – separate (Catholic) elementary, part of Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools. In addition, Aden Bowman Collegiate (a grade 9-12 high school) is located across the street from the neighbourhood’s northwest corner.
Parks/Recreation – Meadowlark Park (3.1 acres), Adelaide Park (5.2 acres), Churchill Park (13.4 acres)
The Adelaide/Churchill Community Association exists to represent the educational, recreational, and social needs of residents, to promote a sense of community and enhance quality of life in the area.
Shopping – Commercial development is limited to the northwest corner of the neighbourhood, where the Churchill Shopping Centre sits on the corner of Clarence Avenue and Taylor Street. This strip mall, opened in 1957, has the distinction of being the oldest shopping centre in Saskatoon. In addition, there are 57 home-based businesses in the neighbourhood. The community is immediately north of the big box commercial development in Stonebridge and is also served by the enclosed shopping centre Market Mall to the east.
#AskSlade about properties currently for sale in this neighbourhood. Slade Real Estate Inc. 306-222-9992.
View Featured Listings